Car-Pass, we fight against odometer fraud.

Things you need to pay attention to

The higher the odometer reading on the Car-Pass, the more insight you will have into the history of the vehicle. The odometer should increase steadily over time. Does the document show a sudden decline in the odometer reading? That could show that someone has clocked the odometer. You should therefore ask some critical questions to the seller before you buy the vehicle.

The Car-Pass is printed on special paper to protect it from counterfeiting or fraud. Do you have doubts about the authenticity of the document or the information it contains? You can test the authenticity of your Car-Pass here.


Get your Car-Pass at the technical inspection

Before you sell the vehicle, a used-vehicle inspection has to be carried out. If you don't, the buyer will not be able to register it. Ask for the Car-Pass when you go for the inspection. The inspector will record the odometer reading and print out a Car-Pass, which will be valid for 2 months.

A Car-Pass costs 7,50 EUR

You pay 7,50 EUR, including VAT. If the Car-Pass shows fewer than 4 odometer readings, it is completely free. Do you have a Car-Pass that is less than 2 months old? You do not have to ask for a new one. Do you suspect that an inaccurate odometer reading is shown on the Car-Pass? Click here.

How it works

The odometer reading on the Car-Pass comes from reliable sources: garages, body shops, fast-fitters, tyre companies, technical inspections, etc. After maintenance, repair, assembly or inspection, they forward the current odometer reading to Car-Pass vzw. They have to by law.

All of those odometer readings are stored in the Car-Pass database. The data can only be used for the Car-Pass itself and therefore not for commercial purposes.

77 centres technical inspection

Werking Car-Pass

Is a Car-Pass legally required?

  • Every car professional who works on a car or light van is legally required to forward the current odometer reading.
  • The seller is legally required to give you a Car-Pass, unless the buyer is a professional vehicle dealer. It doesn't matter whether the car is being sold commercially or privately.
  • Mileage fraud is a criminal offence.

Car-Pass Trusted provider

The reliability and the efficiency of the Car-Pass system are highly dependent on the timely receipt of the correct odometer readings. This is why we want to reward those companies in the automotive sector that report their odometer readings swiftly and accurately. We do this by awarding them with the annual quality label “Car-Pass Trusted Provider”.

Watch out for the label at your garage

If you want to buy or sell a used car, it is important that your garage passes on the correct data. If there are errors on the Car-Pass, the sale may not go through.

531 companies bear the title “Car-Pass Trusted Provider 2018”.

Is your garage already a Trusted Provider?

Watch our advertorial

Do you still have questions?

Below you will find the answer to frequently asked questions about Car-Pass.

What is a Car-Pass?

A Car-Pass is a document that shows the odometer history of a vehicle. It shows the registered odometer readings and the dates when they were recorded. You get a picture of the mileage history of the vehicle and can better judge whether the odometer reading at the time of sale is realistic. The document also contains other information:

  • the make and model of the vehicle;
  • the date on which the vehicle was first registered in Belgium;
  • the Vehicle Identification number (VIN) of the vehicle;
  • the date on which the document was issued;
  • the ID number of the Car-Pass (which makes it possible to check the authenticity of the document);

When do you need a Car-Pass?

Whenever a used car or light van is sold, the seller is legally required to give a Car-Pass to the buyer. It doesn't matter whether the seller is a private person, professional dealer or garage.

The only exception to this rule: if the buyer is a professional, no Car-Pass needs to be provided. 

So if you sell a used vehicule to a foreign private person, you are also required to provide a Car-Pass.

Where can I get a Car-Pass?

If you want to sell a used car, you have to take it in for a used car inspection. The odometer reading will be prepared and issued automatically on the spot if the car passes the inspection.

It's not necessary to present the vehicle for a full inspection in order to get a Car-Pass. You can also just ask for a Car-Pass.

The vehicle will have to be physically brought in before a Car-Pass will be issued, however. The Vehicle Identification number (VIN) and the odometer reading must be recorded in order to have a Car-Pass made.

How long is a Car-Pass valid ?

The law states that the Car-Pass provided with a used vehicle must be of recent date. In practice, that means that the Car-Pass may not be more than two months old.

How much does a Car-Pass cost?

The price of the Car-Pass is set at 7,50 EUR, including VAT.

If fewer than four odometer readings are shown on the certificate, the Car-Pass is free.

Can I check the authenticity of a Car-Pass?

The Car-Pass is printed on special paper with a hologram and a watermark to make counterfeiting and fraud much more difficult. Do you suspect your document is a forgery or the odometer readings are incorrect? You can check the authenticity of your Car-Pass here.

Where does the information on a Car-Pass come from?

The law provides for a single organisation to be in charge of centralising the odometer information for all vehicles. The association that has been certified to do so on the basis of very strict criteria is the not-for-profit Car-Pass vzw.

Each time a car professional, e.g. a garage operator or tyre company, takes in your car for service, the odometer reading will also be taken. The odometer reading, as well as the date of the odometer reading and the Vehicle Identification number (VIN) of the vehicle, has to be sent to Car-Pass vzw within 5 working days. You can also see this information on the invoice issued by your garage operator.

The Vehicle Registration Department of the Federal Ministry of Mobility and Transport reports the registration of all vehicles in Belgium.

Can the odometer reading that is stored in the central database be used for other purposes?

The information that is stored in the central database of Car-Pass vzw may only be used to issue the Car-Pass when an odometer history is requested. That is also why every Car-Pass must be requested individually and why the Vehicle Identification number (VIN) of the vehicle and the odometer reading at that moment must also be provided.

The odometer readings in the central database will therefore never be provided to any third parties for any commercial purpose.

How do I know what information is being given to Car-Pass vzw?

Whenever work is done on your car or light van by a professional, and you receive an invoice or any other document (e.g. in the context of a warranty), he is required to show the odometer reading taken when the work was done and to report the Vehicle Identification number (VIN).

That information will also be provided to Car-Pass vzw.

The technical inspection stations also record the odometer reading at every inspection. You can find the reading on the inspection report and it will be forwarded to the central database.

What laws govern the Car-Pass?

The Act of 11 June 2004 to fight fraud involving odometer readings in vehicles
(Belgian Gazette 05/07/2004) laid the basis for the efficient fight against fraud in this area.

It was further implemented by the following decrees:

  • Royal Decree of 30 September 2004 concerning the entry into force of the Act of 11 June 2004 to fight fraud involving the odometer readings of vehicles and concerning the documents to be prepared by automotive professionals following work on a vehicle (Belgian Gazette 18/10/2004);
  • Ministerial Decree of 3 November 2004 to appoint the civil servants who are empowered to investigate and ascertain violations of the Act of 11 June 2004 to fight fraud involving the odometer reading of vehicles (Belgian Gazette 19/11/2004);
  • Royal Decree of 21 February 2004 concerning the certification of and control over the association that is charged with the registration of the odometer readings of vehicles (Belgian Gazette 14/03/2005);
  • Royal Decree of 17 September 2004 concerning the amicable settlement in the event of violations of the Act of 11 June 2004 to fight fraud with the odometer readings of vehicles (Belgian Gazette 03/10/2005);
  • Ministerial Decree of 19 September 2004 concerned with the appointment of civil servants charged with proposing amicable settlements within the meaning of Section 11 to the violators of the Act of 11 June 2004 to fight fraud involving the odometer readings of vehicles (Belgian Gazette 03/10/2005);
  • Royal Decree of 4 May 2006 to certify the association charged with the registration of the odometer readings of vehicles (Belgian Gazette 19/05/2006);
  • Royal Decree of 1 July 2006 to regulate the financing for the association charged with the registration of the odometer readings of vehicles (Belgian Gazette 24/07/2006);
  • Royal Decree of 26 August 2006 to regulate the collaboration with the association charged with the registration of the odometer readings of vehicles (Belgian Gazette 30/08/2006, Ed. 2).

Still haven't found what you're looking for?